22 March 2012

High Heel Mysteries, One for the Money and Wolf Legend

High Heel Mysteries – (Spying in High Heels, Killer in High Heels, Undercover in High Heels, Alibi in High Heels, Mayhem in High Heels, and Fearless in High Heels)  by Gemma Halliday. 1 out of 5 stars.

I’ll admit that I read this entire series, though I wouldn’t recommend them (I had just gotten the entire series for less than $15 which is the only reason why I had all of the books in the first place).  I prefer reading clean literature – without anything overly sexual or with strong language but this had both.  I honestly skipped over many scenes.  On a positive note, I will say that it was particularly funny at times, even if Maddie could be a total airhead.  For me to truly enjoy a book I like not being able to predict the “villain” but in these I always knew shortly after the start of the books.  Simply light reading that doesn’t require much thought.   

The books follow Maddie Springer who is thrown into a crime investigation when she finds her boyfriend missing and wanted for murder.  Maddie is insistent that he’s innocent and will do anything to prove that.  Throw in a hot homicide detective, a tabloid reporter, starving actress friend, Maddie’s mother and her psychic friend, and “Faux” Dad who Maddie is 80% sure is not gay and you have the main cast throughout the entire series.  


One for the Money – Janet Evanovich. 1 out of 5 stars.

Similar to the High Heel Mysteries, except the heroine is more intelligent.  Stephanie Plum is recently divorced and unemployed so she decides to take a stab at the bounty hunter business, particularly since it involves getting back at Joe Morelli, an old high school “acquaintance.”  Throw in Ranger  and the love “triangle” is complete.

I wasn’t super impressed.  Similar to the High Heel Mysteries it was filled with sexual innuendos, except this book included frequent use of strong language.   I wasn’t super impressed, though it did have its moments.


Wolf Legend by Jennette Brown. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Jennette is an acquaintance of mine and she is rather enthralled with the concept of werewolves and this book is definite proof of that.  I found this to be an average book.  I’ll admit that there were more grammatical mistakes than I would prefer (but then I almost always notice a few in each book I read) but I thought she had an interesting view on what it means to be a werewolf.  Some of the characters are one-dimensional and some ideas are rather cliche, but these are balanced by the new perceptions in regards to werewolves.  If you are into the supernatural, I would say give this a shot, if not then definitely pass it by.

Wolf Legend tells the story Andrew, a werewolf who thought he had found a comfortable place in the human world, until he meets Rabeka, the woman who utterly fascinates him.   Throw in the mob and another angry werewolf and you have the basics of the plot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment