02 January 2013

Rick Riordan series review

Series Ratings
Percy Jackson and the Olympians 4.5 out of 5 stars
Heroes of Olympus 5 out of 5 stars
Kane Chronicles 4 out of 5 stars

I have a lot I can say about Rick Riordan haha!

Of course he's most famous for his Percy Jackson series, but he's also the author of the counterpart Kane Chronicles (follows Egyptian gods instead of Greek/Roman).

For those of you who don't know (that number is getting smaller and smaller as time goes on), Percy Jackson and the consequent Heroes of Olympus follows the adventures of demigods (half-human children on the Olympian gods).  The first series follows Percy Jackson, a son of Poseidon, and the prophecy that a child of the Big Three (Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon) would decide the fate of the world on his or her 16th birthday.  Percy can't help but wonder if he's the person spoken of in that prophecy.

The five books follow his adventures in Camp Half Blood (training place of the demigods) leading up to the moment when that prophecy comes to pass.  The Heroes of Olympus series follows another prophecy and the 7 demigods that it involves.

My favorite part of the series is the integration of the Greek/Roman mythology in the modern world.  My second favorite part would easily be the relationship between Percy and Annabeth.

Positives: mythology, magic (granted through deity heritage), Percy/Annabeth, and in the later ones I love Hazel, Leo and Frank.

Negatives: it's definitely a kid/teenaged book, so sometimes that interaction can be a bit tiresome for the older reader.

I first read the first four books in high school and at the time it seemed to me that it was a pale comparison to Harry Potter.  I grew bored of the series and never read the last book the Last Olympian.  As I reread those first four books and continued on to the other four books published in the series, I knew that I was too harsh on the series when I was younger.  I found it entirely enjoyable this time around and I would recommend it everyone of all ages.

The Kane Chronicles have many of the same qualities of the Percy Jackson series, but I find that some of the magic is just not there.  Though, the Egyptian mythology is excellent and I love the subtle hints that it takes place in the same world as the Percy Jackson books!




No comments:

Post a Comment