02 January 2013

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Publishing order of the series and the order I read the books:

1. The Alchemyst
2. The Magician
3. The Sorceress
4. The Necromancer
5. (Novella ebook) The Death of Joan of Arc
6. The Warlock
7. (Novella ebook) Billy the Kid and the Vampyres of Las Vegas
8. The Enchantress

I started it when the first book came out and I was eager to read the second.  At that point life became busier, and I was unable to continue the series as it was published.  When I was looking around at what to spend my birthday money on, I remembered this series and bought the whole lot.  I'm not exactly happy that I did.

I have very mixed feelings about this series. 

Parts that I loved include: the historical titbits, including running into significant figures in history, the mechanism of magic, the mythology, and Scatty and her story.  Parts that I wasn't so fond of: the bogged-down details, how the story would sometimes lose its flow and just drag, and how I felt cheated at the end.

There's a lot of build of to a dramatic climax, and yet instead of being a big bang (well there were a lot of bangs involved, but you know what I mean) it more of just fizzled.  And right when things were starting to add up, it was suddenly over.  The last few pages were full of telling of events that would come to pass.  It was almost a blindside of an info-dump.  I didn't invest 6 books of time and effort to desire such a lackluster ending.  The way the story ended was fine, what wasn't was the way it was written.  An extra chapter with a little more showing would have been enough to fix this, but alas, this didn't happen to my disappointment.

Overall rating 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment