13 August 2012

Illuminate by Aimee Agresti


3.5 rating (rounded up for the stars)

I was surprised how much I liked this book. Thinking back, not that much actually happened in the story, but I was drawn in into the world created.

First, props to Aimee Agresti to having a plot twist that I didn't figure out until she revealed it. This was a "minor" plot twist in the grand scheme of things (I'm trying to keep this review spoiler free, but I will admit that it had to do with relationships), but I didn't catch it.

It left plenty open for a sequel, which I actually enjoyed in this case, because I wanted to keep reading.

The themes of angels, demons, and magic is not anything new, but I liked how it was applied here.

Some will consider the ending to be rather abrupt, but I found it fitting. You have enough closure to keep you sated for the next book and I didn't feel wanting at the end.

Some readers will be put off with the way the story is told. It is very detailed oriented and the rich in gentle story telling. I don't mind this method, but some will find proceeding through the book drudging as a result.

As for me, I look forward to the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment