23 August 2012

Princess Academy: Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale


 5 out of 5 stars

Palace of Stone is the sequel to a book that didn’t need a sequel, but the world of Miri would not be complete with it.  (This review does contain spoilers for Princess Academy, but not for Palace of Stone).

Palace of Stone takes the reader through a series of emotions and thoughts.  With Miri we have to decide for ourselves what is right and wrong, both as an individual and as a society. 

Revolution.

This book centers around the concept of revolution.  Things in Danland are not what they seemed.  There is more unrest than previously expected.  Miri from her life on Mount Eskel has had little exposure to the lowlands and thus with her we slowly uncover the tangled weave of Danland’s politics and people.  Miri was a revolutionary at Mount Eskel and now she can see what this meant to all of Danland.

This book questions things that I took for granted from the first, but in an excellent way.  It made me wonder why I took those things for granted in the first place, because now I am of the opinion that I shouldn’t have.  A brief example: my thoughts on Britta.  At first I assumed that everyone would feel like I did towards her (and like Miri did within the first book), but in my joy of seeing her happiness with her engagement to Steffan, I had forgotten to consider the entire picture.  Palace of Stone shows me that.

Miri grows significantly within the book to marvelous results.  She is exposed to true and innocent romance, the true meaning of loyalty and friendship and the possibility of a brighter future.

This book was an excellent and incredibly sweet read.  Thought-provoking and memorable.  Fans of the Princess Academy will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment