13 August 2012

Mixed Magics by Diana Wynne Jones


4 out of 5 stars

This is a collection of short stories written within the Chrestomanci world(s).

Though I didn't find it quite as fulfilling as the main six books, I really liked seeing Cat's and Tonino's interaction in the STEALER OF SOULS. I also enjoyed the snark (of Chrestomanci, who else?) in the HUNDREDTH DREAM as well as the concept behind Carol Oneir's magic within dreams. WARLOCK was my least favorite of the bunch, simply because I didn't care about his character back in Charmed Life and I couldn't find a reason to care for him now. The SAGE OF THEARE had an interesting backstory that I felt could have been even more developed. It can be a little confusing at first look, but it was still entirely interesting.

As a collection of short stories, it provides a wonderful opportunity to revisit the Chrestomanci world, which was what I was looking for when I initially picked up the book.

Not her best work, but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment